Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Faux Figures

So on Monday we had a walking tour of the city…which was nice. Our tour guide was a bit hard to understand but I think I got the gist of it. If I didn’t understand what she was saying I didn’t take a picture because I didn’t know what it was. It seemed quite logical to me.

When she did explain things and I became interested she usually ended the explanation (after my photo shoot of the piece or building) with, “but this isn’t really it, the real one was destroyed in our flood.”

Anyway…after what was only an hour but felt like 4 we came to the Palazzo Vecchio. My back was tired and I was ready to fall to the ground when my eyes fell on a familiar frame, “was it?”…I thought. I felt excitement rush through me as I grabbed my camera for a picture of the great DAVID when the guide said, “oh, and over there is the famous David…but it is fake”. “But don’t let that bother you, it is an exact replica; it was taken from a mold of the real one!”.

Real shmeal. I didn’t come to Italy to see the faux David.

So, on Tuesday night at our Welcome dinner I decided to share this information with few people. Shocking news was discovered…when it is time to feast my eyes upon the real David, I can’t even take a picture…so this is all you are going to get of David…the faux one. Enjoy.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home