Wednesday, June 07, 2006


Artist and Markets


Today we had our wonderful class. We got out early yet again…I love it. Anyway, Jessica and I decided we needed to stop hemorrhaging money so we should take a trip to the market. Well, it is about a 20-minute walk to the first market. When we reached to first market we were greeted with bars over the windows…still allowing us to take a glimpse of the food we could have bought. There was a sign that we concluded said, “Closed on the 7th of June”. Lovely.


Anyway, we quickly found our attention elsewhere…leather…tons and tons of leather. Bags, shoes, belts…everything was leather. It was fun to browse. I even found a friend sleeping under a shoe stand.

Artists lined the street sides by the Duome. One in particular caught my attention. He was sketching, smoking, and scratching his head in that cycle over and over again. Nothing distracted him. He had no idea I was taking his picture.

We decided to try and find the second market…which we might find open. This one was about a five-minute walk further north. Now let me explain, all the markets on the south of the Arno River…which is where we live…are specialty shops and they are much more expensive…so we trade the euro expense for the expense of our back and arms. Well, we found our market. It was a bit different. Meat was hanging in the air…I don’t know about you, but would rather not visualize my dinner like that. I might come home a vegetarian.

Well, after 20 minutes in the market we found: spaghetti, sauce, Honey Nut Cheerios, yogurt, orange juice, the famous chocolate spread, six huge bottles of water and for me SOY MILK! I haven’t tried it yet but it came in a strange box. I will update on the taste. We spent less than 20 euro. The one thing we need to find is bread…there was no fresh bread. We are in Italy…the Land of Carbs…and there is not fresh bread to be found. Maybe the bread man was taking a siesta.


After we got our food we started our journey home. I took the water…because my arms needed a workout since I am not working with the Genesis Project here! Jessica had two bags. It was a long long long walk. People looked at me funny…like they don’t buy water and carry it home? Whatever. This trip made me re-evaluate our future shopping trips. I think I may buy a bike. It works nice here; they sell them for about 100 euro but buy them back if you return them within 120 days. That can be my grocery getter.

Bike or no bike I need to set up a grocery system…or just get a good work out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home