Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice…

The next morning Timo had to work, so Jochen and Karen had taken the day off to hang out with us. We woke up, got ready, and crossed the street to their little wooden picket fence. It was a beautiful morning; the sun was warming up my arms as the breeze was dancing past me.

Karen had prepared a wonderful breakfast; the table was full of fresh fruit, yogurt, bread, pretzels, homemade jam, juice, water, coffee, and tea. Jochen was planning on taking us on a bike ride, but after a few yawns he asked me, “So I don’t think the bike ride is a good idea today since you are so tired, no?” But John and I quickly told him we would love to go.

So, we finished breakfast and got on our bikes. In the beginning I was thinking, “man this is going to be easy!” We were headed to a forest where if we did a bit of mountain biking, we could climb some hills and see the whole village.
We began climbing and I was ok once I figured out how to change the gears. It wasn’t until we got to a part where Jochen advised we walk out bikes up. So, John (of course) tries to ride up it, and makes it for a bit, while I am in the dust trying hard to pull my bike over roots and rocks. Finally I couldn’t take it anymore and I sat down and told Jochen I would follow in a bit. Since John had sailed up this mountain, he ran down and grabbed my bike for me.

We got to the top and got on our bikes again…we had more to go. Apparently we hadn’t been “mountain biking” yet because ahead of me I saw brush and a narrow line of dirt on the ground, within seconds John and Jochen were on the itsy bitsy trail. I don’t think I would have minded so much had there not been thorns on every branch that flung back on me, puncturing my skin or shorts and holding on until it could not longer.
Now, I will let you in on a secret, John, Jochen and I are not wearing helmets…where are the safety laws when you needs them?
My hands were already aching from holding onto the brakes, and since I was going so slow I fell into a bush, not a nice soft bush, a bush with thorns and immediately I felt my brow furrow and with a huff I got back up. Jochen looked back at me and I plastered a big smile on my face, which he returned and continued on. I brushed myself off and heaved myself back onto my bike.

We finally arrived to our destination. The entire village was in our view. John could even zoom in with his camera and spot Jochen, and Hans’s houses. We took a few pictures and continued on the narrow trail.
John and Jochen were enjoying the view down. But me…I think there were trees and I am sure they were pretty, but the only scenery I saw was the ground right below my front tire.
We stopped again to see John's great grandfathers house. No one was living in it; apparently it was more a monument now. It was cute, and the land surrounding it was gorgeous.
We continued on to a piece of land the Jochen and Karen had bought. They grow fruit and vegetables there for their own personal use. There was a shed that Jochen built in a day; it housed his tractor and some supplies.
After a few more minutes of riding our trip had come to an end. I thanked Jochen for the tour and excused myself to shower and rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home