Tuesday, July 11, 2006

John,Bratwurst and Sauerkraut...These Are A Few of My Favorite Things

Munich was a great change of pace. John and I could put a jacket on if we wanted or just feel the breeze across our bare arms. We took a taxi to our hotel. Since we had not showered since our sweaty day in Rome, we got clean and soon after very tired (overnight trains are not my travel of choice…I didn’t sleep well at all). So John let me sleep while he went downstairs and ran some errands.

Once I was awake, we left to get some good German food. I read in our Lonely Planet guide that there was this great Bavarian place right in the middle of the city center called Weisses Brauhaus.

We walked in and it could smell home (John’s mom often makes German cuisine for dinner, and at all the get togethers it is mostly German food). We found our seats and made our choices. I chose bratwurst and potato salad. John picked pork in beer gravy, potato pancakes and sauerkraut. It was the best meal I have had in Europe! (Uncle Mike’s potato salad is better though).

Since we only had one day we figured we would see some of the sites. I wanted to go to Dachau, which was the first Nazi concentration camp. I had my own reasons seeing as my Grandfather Lazenby was in the U.S Army and was a German translator, and my other Grandfather was in the Navy during World War 11. We only had 20 mins before it closed but figured we might be able to catch a glimpse of it. So off we went.
Again, so blessed, the gate was open when we arrived. John and I got to walk through the entire camp without crowds. It was quiet; all that could be heard was the wind blowing through the massive trees lining the camp. There were various boards with pictures and explanations about what the different setions were used for. John and I whispered small comments to each other but beside that we were mostly quiet. It was hard to take it all in.

We strolled back to the bus stop, waiting to go back to the city center. I was sad to leave the countryside it was gorgeous… John and I both decided we should move our families there!
The sun was setting and the city center was coming alive. England was playing Portugal, so bars were packed and people were out. John wanted to pay a visit to the famous Hofbrauhaus. We made our way to our destination…no map was necessary, singing (very bad singing) could be heard and music (which was playing a totally different song than the one being sung). We entered to see many Americans…who had had far too much to drink. We stayed for a bit, ate dinner (which was not close to being as good as our lunch), and left. We ended our night with some Haugen Daus that made us very happy campers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home