Saturday, July 22, 2006

A Grey Day in Florence and Rome

I had two days in Florence before I found myself packing my bag yet again to go to Rome. The night before we left we had a “family dinner” at out apartment with Shannon, Amy, Jane, Scott, Jessica, Jr, Melissa, and myself. During our dinner thunder bounced off the Tuscan hills and into our windows. Soon after it began to pour, without letting up all night, it actually got harder and harder.

We were to meet at the train station at 8:00 a.m. to catch our bus to Rome. My alarm was set for 7:00 but instead I woke up at 6:00 to thunder rattling my open shutters and the wind had changed causing rain to hit my face and my bed.
I closed the windows and went to the kitchen to make myself some tea. The rest of the house had woken up as well and we lay in our beds drinking tea trying to figure out how we should get to the train station. I unpacked my small rolling luggage and stuffed everything in my backpack. The four of us decided to walk. We slowly made our trek through the puddles and around the busses spraying waves of dirty water on the sidewalk. Wet and tired, we made it in time to through our luggage in and find seats (A group of girls from our class were not so lucky, they had called a taxi, which was late, and missed the bus to Rome).

Four hours later we made it to Rome. We immediately were rounded up and taken to Vatican City. We toured the Vatican museums and ended in the Sistine chapel. It was beautiful…but extremely crowded, which caused the room to be very hot and cramped. Jessica and I saw what we wanted to see and made our way through the crowd to get some fresh air outside.
I sat down for a while looking through my camera, when Jessica hit my arm and pointed at some guy with blue hair coming out of the Sistine chapel. I could only see the back of his head, so I looked at her and said, “nice, whatever floats your boat’, and looked back down at my camera. She immediately hit me again and said, “he looks like George from Grey’s Anatomy.” After he turned around I saw his face and sure enough it was.

We argued for a few minutes deciding whether or not we should ask him for a picture. Another girl came out and caught on to what we were talking about, and grabs us to follow him. When we got close to him, we noticed another familiar face…it was Justin Chambers who plays “Alex” on Grey’s Anatomy. They were traveling together with their families. They stopped in front of St. Paul’s Basilica and we went up to T. R. Knight and asked him for a picture. He was very nice and talked to us for a minute. Justin Chambers was in the middle of his family and we decided we would not bother him.
After all the excitement we toured St. Paul’s Basilica and went back to the hotel. Our group decided to go eat and see some of the city. So we all agreed upon the Trevi Fountain. It was a wonderful choice because at night it is all lit up and beautiful. All the shops are open and people are just hanging out eating gelato, throwing coins into the fountain in hopes to come back to Rome someday.

We stayed their for a while and enjoyed each others company, ate some gelato, and headed back. The grey clouds had swept in and the rain had begun to fall. It had certainly been a grey day of adventures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home