Sunday, July 30, 2006

(I will now resume with England)

Pubs, Ponies, and Pesky Neighbors


The train to Colin and Ann’s was delayed for 30 minutes due to the fact that there had been a line fire. So we agreed it was much better to wait than be in a fire. The train ride was sticky and long but finally we made it, we stepped of the train to a warm breeze and Colin waiting with a smile on his face. He ushered us to the car and helped put our bags in the back. As he was talking I walked to the right side of the car door to sit in the front seat and as I looked at the car passing me realized that I was walking to the driver side door. It was the weirdest feeling. Colin drove us back to the house and suggested some things we could do that night. We were so happy to be there we wanted to anything that worked best with their busy schedule.

So, we went back to the house, dropped our stuff off and left for their new home. Colin and Ann have been working on a new house they bought and a lot of things have taken longer than expected. So we went to meet the “gate man”, who was going to make their gate. Colin gave us the grand tour, which was amazing. The house was so beautiful and quaint. Their front yard is so beautiful it reminded me of the secret garden. The view out their front gate was a long walkway of trees overlapping each other at the top, causing it to be a long shaded walkway.

While Colin waited for the “gate man”, Ann took us to see a church near their house. We had a nice walk and even got to see inside the church. We went back to see if the “gate man” had graced Colin with his presence (which he had not). So, Ann took us an a little driving tour around their new city. We stopped at a Pub with a bit of history…a history of violence…this man who used to live near this area used to shoot everything in sight…if I remember the story correctly, he single handedly killed thousands of birds. So we stopped at the Gun Inn, and I drank a ginger ale.

We headed back to the house and were greeted by Colin and the very eccentric “gate man”. They decided upon a gate and gate security (which I didn’t think was good enough, they should have gone a bit more high tech, but that is another story…one that I have to keep between Colin and myself). It seems as though they have this lady next-door…Naomi…whom, before they had moved in, they were warned about. So I think desperate times call for desperate measures! (Right Colin?!)

We said “cheers” to the gateman and started our tour, guided by the wonderful, informative, witty Colin Clegg. I joked around with him, telling him I felt like his seat should be turned around to face us (like they do in tour buses). We drove through the New Forest, apparently they have some vicious animals like ponies and squirrels. Colin told me that my cousin John has a story about the New Forest squirrels for me when I get home.

Colin and Ann have the most amazing spirits they see everything with a fresh eye, and they inspired me so much on my visit with them. While we were driving through the New Forest, they were looking at it like it was the first time. We had a wonderful time. We stopped to eat. We had great food and even better conversation. Our first day with them was “brilliant”.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home